Even though Lorraine Roberts has not been painting with soft pastels very long, her art hangs in private and corporate collections. Many of Lorraine’s pastel paintings have been juried into art exhibitions across Canada and the USA. She has been featured in the newspaper, The Caledon Citizen.
Life comes full circle for the Caledon artist, Lorraine Roberts. She is following her dream of sharing the beauty of nature through her paintings. “Every moment, live life in awe and be open to the possibilities. Take nothing for granted and live your dream.”
Lorraine Roberts creates landscape and botanically inspired soft pastel, impressionistic paintings. The luminous quality of soft pastels captures the beauty of the moment with vibrancy. “There is inspiration everywhere. Living in the rolling hills of Caledon, Ontario surrounded by trees, ponds, rivers and gardens, I’m inspired by the ever-changing light and colour that nature provides.”
Lorraine is a member of the Pastel Artists of Canada, Headwaters Arts, Piedmont Pastel Society and the Pastel Society of the West Coast.
Since early childhood Lorraine has always expressed herself with artistic endeavors: pottery, stained glass, papier mache, copper enameling, mono-printing, batik, pyrography, music, photography, and garden design. Drawing and painting in all different styles and mediums from pen and ink, charcoal, acrylic, oil, watercolour and soft pastels.
In her late teens, she was creating large, abstract, 3 dimensional, papier mache, acrylic paintings that were rented to corporations through Arts Etobicoke (Ontario). At the end of high school, she received an Award of Excellence in Art Scholarship. In her early 20’s she was teaching adults painting and drawing at night school.
She was an accomplished flutist and composer for over 20 years. Music led to meeting her talented husband, Robert at the Royal Conservatory of Music in Toronto. Together they (AKA Rousseau & Carlton) performed at thousands of events and recorded 4 instrumental music CDs that feature flute and guitar with an acoustic ensemble.
Moving to rural Caledon, Ontario in 1999 had sparked an interest in gardening which eventually led to the creation of Plant Paradise Country Gardens, an award-winning organic perennial nursery and 24 acre botanical garden.
Lorraine is the author and photographer of two gardening books: A Recipe for Continuous Bloom (sold out) and Spectacular Plant Combinations for the Perennial Garden.
When not painting Lorraine can be found enjoying nature’s beauty. “The journey continues…follow your dreams”
Exhibitions & Shows
- The pastel paintings, Wildflower Melody and Over the Hills and Beyond have been juried into the Headwaters Art Gallery Show – Wild and Free – March 22 until April 23, 2023.
- The pastel painting, Wildflowers at Sunset, has been juried into the Headwaters Art Gallery Show (Alton Mill) – Dark into Light – February 15 until March 19, 2023
- Pelham Juried Art Festival (Online) May 8-18 2023.
- Solo exhibition in the Headwaters Restaurant at the Millcroft Inn (October 2 – December 4, 2023)
- The pastel painting, Sandbanks has been juried into the Pastel Society of the West Coast’s Online Show – MOOS (beginning March 1, 2023) https://pswc.ws/
- The Poppy Field and Sandbanks pastel paintings have been juried into the 2023 10th Annual Online Juried Exhibition for the Pastel Artists of Canada http://pastelartists.ca/2023-02-online-show
- The Poppy Field pastel painting has been juried into the EXPRESSIONS 2023 Pastel Society of Colorado Online Show: https://pscshows.com/online-show.html
- ArtWorks Oakville 22nd Annual Juried Show 2022 (Pastel painting: Over the Hills and Beyond)
- Headwaters Arts Juried Arts Market September 17, 2022
- Piedmont (North Carolina) Pastel Society’s Online Show 2022 (Painting: Primula Garden)
- Solo Art Show & Sale at Plant Paradise Country Gardens October 22 & 23 2022
- The painting, Sandbanks, was a finalist in the Camelback Gallery’s 5th annual MY BEST Work of 22 International Juried Visual Arts Exhibition